JVM Research and Technology
Making Ideas Happen
Engineering, Research, and Technology for displays and analog-dominant engineering
JVM Research is an independent research and consulting organization available for consulting, contracting, or collaboration for your projects.
About the Principal / Chief Engineer
— Engineer / Principal Engineer with Sun Microsystems / Oracle from 1986 until 2013 —
Sun was acquired by Oracle in 2010.)
— Previously with Packet Technologies, Echo Science, Ampex
— Joe Miseli joe.miseli @ jvmresearch.com
(Please copy and paste and close the spaces to send an Email.)
Areas of expertise
- Displays - Technology and Metrology
- Signal Transmission
- Mixed-signal designs
- Digitally-controlled analog functions
- Product Development
- Circuit and Special Fixtures Development
- Project Management with role as Lead Engineer
- Developing expertise and coming up to speed in areas of engineering where there is no expertise and it is needed.
Value Added Experience
- Much project and people-related experience and Interaction with clients, customers, integrators, and manufacturers.
- Chair of the ICDM (International Committee for Display Metrology)
- Second primary author on the ICDM standard, IDMS1 (Information Display Measurement Standard), available for free download here:
- Also wrote the ICDM-SID.org website.
- Creative thinker with ability to analyze multiple options
- Conceptualization and visualization
- Ability to consider variables and alternatives that may be missed
- Much experience and expertise in dealing with suppliers (vendors) for product development
- Ability to get along and work well with persons and product teams
- Skills in devising, designing, and implementing fixturing for product evaluation and characterization, and works well with mechanical and software engineers, as well as industrial designers, for a well-rounded, reliable, professional, and efficient, solution. Also works well with business teams, such as marketing, operations, and sales and customers when required.
Principal Career Highlights:
- Co-formed the FPDM (Flat Panel Display Measurements) group in VESA in 1995
- Key contributor to the FPDM standards FPDM1 and FPDM2.
- Chair of the FPDM in VESA from 2005 to 2007
- Helped bring the ICDM into SID (Society for Information Display) in 2007 Chair of the ICDM (International Committee for Display Metrology) from 2007 to present
- Chair of the SID Definitions and Standards Committee from 2008 to 2012
- Helped lead the development of the ICDM standard, IDMS (Information Display Measurement Standard)
- After the editor (Ed Kelley, Keltek Research), was the principal contributor to the IDMS standard, authoring or co-authoring over 20 measurements in the standard and developed much of the artwork within it.
- SID Presidential Award, SID 2013 International Seminar and Symposium, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.
- Patent No. 5,537,145, Evaluation Method and System for Performance of Flat Panel Displays and Interface Hardware, Joe Miseli, 1994
- No. 6,157,375, Dec. 5, 2000, Method and Apparatus for Selective Enabling of Addressable Display Elements, Abe Rindal, MIchele Law, Joe Miseli, 2000. Driver circuit designs by Joe Miseli as part of this patent effort can be found on this page.
- 6,575,419, Universal support system for displays, Kuni Masuda, James Stanton, Joe Miseli
- 6,637,104, Cable management system for electronic devices such as flat panel monitors, Kuni Masuda, James Stanton, Joe Miseli
- 6,561,469, High Storage Volume Support for Displays, Kuni Masuda, James Stanton, Joe Miseli
- 6,713,678, Cable management system for electronic devices such as flat panel monitors, Kuni Masuda, Joe Miseli
- 9,903,926, Hideable Video Camera Platform, Kuni Masuda, Joe Miseli, 2005
- 6,929,224, Multi-Hinge System for Displays, Kuni Masuda, Joe Miseli, 2005
- Method and Apparatus for Automatically Presenting Information on a Display, Joe Miseli, Kuni Masuda
- Method and Apparatus for Thermal Management of a Display, Joe Miseli, Clayton Castle, Tom Fussy, John Rahn
- Staggered Lamp Inverter Dimming Method, Joe Miseli — Patent applied for, status unknown
- Motion Artifact Detection and Analysis Tool, Joe Miseli (Concept Inventor & Functional Architect), Eric Boucher (Programmer & Implementation Architect) — 7,020,579, Method and Apparatus for Detecting Motion-Induced Artifacts in Video Displays, 2006.
Some Published Papers, Talks, and Presentations
— EMI Issues for Flat Panel Displays, ISHM Advanced Technology Workshop on Flat Panel Display Packaging, San Antonio, Texas, 11/16/95. Presentation slides and the presentation can be found on this page:
EMI Issues Presentation page
— Hidden Cost Savings of Flat Panel Displays, Session 7, Impact of Flat Panel Displays, Paper 7.2, Display Works 99 Manufacturing Technology Conference, San Jose, California, 2/4/99
➣Hidden Cost Savings, 1999 ←Published Paper Download
— Time-domain flicker measurement techniques, Proceedings of the SPIE, Paper number 3636B-31, Electronic Imaging ’99, Science & Technology International Symposium (The Society for Imaging Science and Technology & The International Society for Optical Engineering), Friday, January 29, 1999, San Jose Convention Center
— Motion Artifacts, Paper 7.3, SID 2004 International Seminar and Symposium, Seattle, Washington, 5/25/04
➣Motion Artifacts ←Published Paper Download
— Motion Artifact Overview, IMID (International Meeting on Information Displays) & Asia Display ‘04, 2004, Daegu, Korea — Invited speaker. Co-organized by SID (Society for Information Displays) and KIDS (Korean Information Display Society), Daigu, Korea
— Evaluation of Motion Artifacts and Evolving Compensation Techniques for LCD Monitors, Paper 19.02, SID 2005 International Seminar and Symposium, Boston, Massachusetts, May 25, 2005, Joe Miseli (Sun Microsystems) and Seung-Woo Lee, Samsung
➣Motion Artifacts and Evolving Compensation Techniques for LCD Monitors ←Published Paper Download
— Motion Artifacts Overview and VESA FPDM Update, CORM 2005 (Council for Optical & Radiometric Measurements), Boulder, CO, May 12, 2005.
— Motion Artifact Performance Issues, and How VESA is Addressing them, ADEAC ‘05 (Advanced Display Applications Conference), Paper 2-3, Portland, Oregon, 12/25/05
— Advanced Motion Artifact Analysis Method for Dynamic Contrast Degradation caused by Line Spreading, Paper 3.1, SID 2006 International Seminar and Symposium, San Francisco, California, 6/6/06, Joe Miseli (Sun Microsystems), Jongseo Lee, (Samsung), Jun H. Souk, (Samsung)
➣Advanced Motion Artifacts Method - Line Spreading ←Published Paper Download
— Taking on motion-artifacts evaluation in the VESA FPDM, Journal of the SID, 14/11, 2006, pages 987 to 997.
— Display Technology, VESA, and EDID, Xorg Developer’s Conference, Menlo Park, California, 2/8/07
— Display Temporal Characteristics, DAC ’07 (Display Applications Conference), Burlingame, California, 10/23/07
— Introducing the International Committee for Display Metrology (ICDM), Information Display Magazine, pp 2-5, 2/08
— Tests and Measurements of the ICDM, Paper 4.1, SID 2008 International Seminar, and Symposium, Los Angeles, California, 5/20/08
— ICDM Display Measurement Standard for Flat Panel Displays, Invited Paper VHF3-1, IDW ’08 (International Display Workshops), Niigata, Japan, 12/5/08 — Won Best Paper Award.
— ICDM Committee of SID — Developing the comprehensive display measurement standard to bring accuracy, proper metrology, and needed measurements to the display industry, Workshop 5.1, IMID (International Meeting on Information Display)
/ Asia Display 2008, Seoul, Korea, 10/15/08
— ICDM Status and Overview, Joint Seminar for The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers (IEICE) and Japanese National Committee of CIE(JCIE), at the NHK Science and Technical Research Laboratories, Tokyo, Japan, 12/8/08
—ICDM Activities on Display Measurements, EBU Display Seminar (European Broadcast Union), Geneva, Switzerland, 2/24/09
— Overview of the ICDM for the CEA (Consumer Electronics Association) Spring Tech and Standards Forum, 5/13/09
— Introduction to the ICDM Display Measurement Standard, Paper 24.4, SID 2009 International Seminar and Symposium, San Antonio, Texas, 6/309
— Overview of the ICDM Display Measurement Standard and Metrology, FPD International Standards and Technology Workshop 2009, Taipei, Taiwan, 6/10/09
— Display Metrology: Overview of Display Metrology Requirements, Methods, and Techniques with some examples, 2 hours training course, infoComm09, Orange County Convention Center, Orlando, Florida, 6/18/09
— The ICDM International Display Measurement Standard — SID’s First Standard, Bay Area Chapter of SID, National Semiconductor, Sunnyvale, California, 11/9/11.
— Starfield Contrast: A Method to Determine the Contrast of Displays with Dynamic Backlights, P59, SID 2012 International Seminar, and Symposium
— Q&A: ICDM Standard, SID Information Display Magazine, Vol. 29, No. 1, Jan/Feb 2013, pp 26-27.
— An introduction to the Information Display measurement Standard 1, the first display measurement standard from the International Committee for Display Metrology, pp 214-224, JSID (Journal of the Society for Information Display) Special Edition on the IDMS (International Display Measurement Standard), June 2013.
— Consideration for an ICDM standardized method to define consistency for stating display performance, High Performance Displays: Next-Generation Visualization, Oct. 25, 2013.